It’s National Dental Hygiene Month at our Charlottesville dental office and dental offices around the country! This celebration is dedicated to all dental hygienists and serves to recognize these valued team members and everything they do to keep our patients healthy. These 31 days are also for promoting the importance of good hygiene for oral and overall health.
First and foremost, dental hygienists are caretakers who are responsible for educating patients on good oral health habits as well as placing importance on preventing dental problems in the first place. While hygienist duties can vary state by state, some of the most common responsibilities include:
1) Getting to Know You – At many dental offices, hygienists will talk with every patient to get to know them personally as well as talk about any concerns they may have. Hygienists may also review a patient’s health history, perform an oral cancer screening, and take dental x-rays.
2) Teeth Cleanings – When most people think of a dental hygienist, they picture teeth cleanings. While it’s true that hygienists are responsible for cleaning teeth, they’re actually doing more than that. They’re removing tartar and plaque that can’t really be removed effectively at home, protecting teeth from decay. They’re also looking for any signs of cavities, oral cancer, and gum disease.
3) Prevention – Dental hygienists will also discuss recommended prevention treatments such as fluoride or sealants. Many hygienists will apply these to the patients to help protect tooth enamel from acid, bacteria, and cavities.
4) Taking Dental Impressions – If a treatment requires dental impressions to be taken, a dental hygienist may be the team member to do it. Many hygienists are trained to not only take the impressions accurately, but to also keep patients comfortable during the process.
5) Education – Talking with your hygienist and dentist in Charlottesville about any dental concerns you have is a great place to learn as much as you can about your unique oral health. Hygienists and dentists alike are here to help you get and maintain a healthy smile and are happy to assist you with any questions you may have.
To help do your part to keep your smile healthy, make sure to practice good oral hygiene at home. That means brushing twice a day and flossing every day. It’s also important to schedule a dental appointment every six months.
If it’s been longer than six months since your last dental cleaning, we welcome you to call our dental office in Charlottesville to schedule an appointment today.
Dr. Kayton and all of his wonderful staff are friendly, professional, and competent. I’ve sent friends and family to them for years.
Great, pain-free dentistry, and a wonderful group of people! My teeth and gums are in better shape than they were when I was far younger, thanks to the great teamwork of Dr. Kayton and his outstanding dental technicians! Two thumbs up!
Excellent visit as always!
Dr. Kayton and his team took good care of me and did a great job. I have my beautiful smile back!
What a great experience. It’s always difficult to find a good dentist when you move to a new area. I look forward to my next visit.
Prompt, congenial, well organized, professional, and patient friendly.
Dr. Kayton and his staff are professional, friendly, and caring people. Every experience with them has been superb. I highly recommend this practice.
I completely trusted Dr. Kayton. He offers the highest tech equipment, has the nicest staff and takes the time to make sure you understand his evaluation.
Painless dentistry. Dedicated and compassionate staff. Efficient. The most complicated dental work I have had has been done here; also the most pleasant and painless.